Below is information about the social activities the residents of the Pikedale Soldier Settlement Scheme were involved in.
Amiens memorial hall
The Amiens Memorial Hall was used for the annual Amiens Agricultural Show displays, dances and many other events. In the 1980s, this building was moved to Storm King Dam to become part of the recreation centre there. In Amiens, only the stumps remain on the left of Memorial Lane to show the hall’s original location.
The Croft Hotel
The hotel was the Croft family residence and business premises at Amiens during the 1920s. The sign reads: “M. CROFT - FRUIT, BOARD, RESIDENCE, GROCERIES.”
St Denys Anglican Church
St Denys church was built to meet the spiritual and social needs of the soldiers and families who settled in Amiens and surrounding area. Named after the patron saint of France, St Denys exists today with services being conducted on the third Sunday of the month.
The Methodist Church was erected in 1920, in a location that was south along Memorial La and opposite the cricket field. The building, pews, pulpit and organ being the generous gift of the Killarney Circuit, Rev. WT Phillips, the first minister and Amiens resident. In 1945 this church was moved to Severnlea and currently enjoys a second life as the Severnlea Uniting Church.
St Patrick's Catholic Church
St Patrick's Catholic Church sits opposite the Amiens Legacy Centre and was relocated in 1964, having been relocated from Sugarloaf. It is now privately owned.