The Passchendaele railway siding was named after the Battle of Passchendaele, also known as the Third Battle of Ypres, which was a campaign of the First World War, fought by the Allies against the German Empire. The battle took place on the Western Front, from July to November 1917, for control of the ridges south and east of the Belgian city of Ypres in West Flanders. (source: Wikipedia)
The area called Passchendaele that formed part of the Pikedale Soldiers' Settlement Scheme consisted of a railway siding only. However, its name has given rise to the Passchendaele State Forest, part native, part pine plantation, that now surrounds the area.
The image shows C17 No. 997 posing for photographs on a Society special on 24th February, 1968 at Passchendaele in the middle of the pine forest (Photo: Eric Marggraf)